Kevin Coughlin is Chairman and CEO of Lexington Companies, where he provides strategic counsel and management services to a variety of clients.
Kevin served as a member of the Ohio Senate from 2001-2011. He served in the Ohio House of Representatives from 1997-2001.
During his 14 years in the Ohio General Assembly Kevin gained expertise in health, energy, higher education and appropriations.
For six years Kevin was chairman of the Senate Health, Human Services & Aging Committee. He also served stints as chairman of the House Finance & Appropriations Higher Education Subcommittee and the Senate State & Local Governments & Veterans Affairs Committee.
Many of Kevin’s accomplishments in office continue to positively impact the State of Ohio and its people:
• Authored the law creating Ohio’s Amber Alert System, aiding in the safe return of missing and abducted children.
• Authored Ohio’s law allowing families that experience miscarriage to honor their child as a life by obtaining a death certificate and the remains for proper closure.
• Authored Ohio’s Prompt Pay law and the Health Care Accountability Act, streamlining the administrative relationship between physicians and insurance companies.
• Co-authored Ohio’s Healthy Choices for Healthy Children Act, a comprehensive school-based approach to addressing child obesity and wellness.
• Co-authored Ohio’s law protecting private property owners from unwarranted takings of land through eminent domain.
• Sponsored Ohio’s election reform law implementing the Help American Vote Act requirements and reducing voter fraud.
• Authored law helping Ohio’s sheriffs to better protect communities from sex offenders.
• Authored legislation creating Ohio’s scholarship for children with special needs to attend the school of their choice.
During his time in office Kevin was a leader in the Council of State Governments, serving on its Executive Committee and Governing Board, as Co-Chair of the International Committee, and as a Toll Fellow.
Senator Coughlin was the 2005 Chair of CSG’s Midwestern Legislative Conference. For five years, he co-chaired the Bowhay Institute for Legislative Leadership Development which trains 33 Midwestern legislators every year to be strong leaders.
Kevin is a National Fellow at the German Marshall Fund of the United States. He has served on the Blossom Music Center Board of Overseers and the Western Reserve Hospital Community Business Leaders Council.
Kevin graduated from Woodridge High School and holds a BA and a Masters of Public Administration from Bowling Green State University.
Awards and Honors:
• Friend of Medicine – Ohio State Medical Association
• Guardian of Small Business Award- NFIB/Ohio
• Cancer Advocate of the Year – American Cancer Society
• Friend of the Canal – Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition
• Legislator of the Year – Ohio Association of Advanced Practice Nurses
• Legislator of the Year – Ohio Society of Professional Engineers
• Legislator of the Year – Ohio Dietetic Association
• Legislator of the Year – Ohio Health Advocacy Network
• Legislator of the Year – Ohio AMVETS
• Legislator of the Year – National Alliance for Mental Illness of Ohio
• Legislator of the Year – ARC of Ohio
• Legislator of the Year – Ohio Speech Language and Hearing Association
• Legislator of the Year – Ohio Restaurant Association
• Urban Light Award – University of Akron Department of Public Administration
Senator Coughlin can be reached at email@example.com